History of St.Agnes in Kyoto ~ 1923
St. Agnes Church, a church belonging to the Japan Anglican Kyoto diocese, in October 1923.
Initially the church was called the "Cathedral of Kyoto Trinity Church". During the Second World War, the church was devoted to an ammunitions storage yard. After the war, the church was used for worship by the occupation soldiers. The church has offered an English worship service ever since.
This Cathedral was completed in 1898 as the cathedral of the Kyoto rural areas of Japan Anglican (now Kyoto diocese). The design is by the American architect James McDonald Gardiner, who also served as the first Japan Anglican president.
St. Agnes Church was designed by American architect James McDonald Gardiner (who also served as the first Japan Anglican president) in the Gothic style. The church is built in brick with three aisles and a three-story bell tower. The interior of the church is typical of the church architecture of the Meiji Period.
The original church of St Agnes has undergone significant renovation since it was built especially in 1931. The church contains over 30 stained glass windows, including the west Rose Window, which dates back to the church's founding. The windows are original designs by James McDonald Gardiner crafted by Japanese artisans.